Your honey-do list running low on things to do?
Here is a basic homeowner maintenance check list for the summer time:
1. Â Have fire place/wood stove chimney cleaned and serviced as needed.
2. Â Check air conditioning system and have it serviced every two or three years.
3. Â Clean or replace air conditioning filter, if applicable.
4. Â Check the humidifier and clean it, if necessary.5. Â Check smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and security alarms; replace the batteries as needed.
6. Â Clean all windows, screens, and hardware. Check your screens to see if anyrepairs are needed.
7. Â Open any valves to your outside hose connections.
8. Â Examine the foundation for cracks, leaks or signs of moisture; repair as required.
9. Â Check downspouts for loose joints and clear any obstructions to ensure waterÂ flows away from the foundation.
10. Â Clear all drainage ditches and culverts from debris.
11. Â Deep clean your carpets and rugs.
12. Â Vacuum bathroom fan grill.
13. Â Disconnect the duct connected to the dryer and vacuum lint from duct.
14. Â Check security of all handrails.
15. Â Check smooth functioning of all windows and lubricate as required.
16. Â Lubricate door hinges and tighten screws as needed.
17. Â Lubricate the automatic garage door opener, motor, chain, etc. and ensure that theÂ auto reverse mechanism is properly adjusted.
18. Â Check and replace damaged caulking and weather stripping around windows andÂ doors.
19. Â Check exterior wood and trim for signs of deterioration. Clean and replace/refinish as needed.
20. Â Remove any plants or roots that contact or penetrate the siding or brick.
21. Â Check the overall condition of your roof. Note the condition of all shingles andÂ examine all roof flashing, such as chimney and roof joints, for any signs of crackingÂ or leakage.
22. Â Check the chimney cap and the caulking between the cap and the chimney.
23. Â Repair any damaged steps that present a safety problem.